When you start your search for the perfect women’s mountain bike, you could end up getting overwhelmed.
You may run into highly technical bikes that come equipped with all sorts of bells and whistles, some of which you might not have ever heard of!
You might also find bikes that are so flimsy that the first bump they hit will send their alignment all out of whack.
While this may sound frightening, we are here to tell you it’s not and show you the ropes of how you can choose the perfect bike for you.
This blog post will review the top ten mountain bikes and go over a few things you need to know before getting yourself an MTB!
Quick Comparison Table
Our Top 10 Picks For Best Women’s Mountain Bikes in 2023
To take some of the hassles out of sifting through all that is out there, we’ve put together a list of our favorite 10. Included in our list are affordable options, including bikes that are under $500.
So, let’s get to it!
1. Trek Roscoe 8
This is considered the best women’s mountain bike.
This bike has it all. It is a true beauty with the magnetic purple color along and sharp yet feminine design. Don’t let looks fool you though, this bike is tough.
It’s got 27.5+ mid-fat tires that can power through tough terrains along with a 120mm suspension fork that will add more grip while you’re out in the open trails.
Lightweight and Adaptable
While it may seem like a heavy piece of work to carry along, the bike only weighs a little over 31 pounds with tubes. As far as the height and fit, Trek has sizes from XS to M/L.
These have specific dimensions for both seat tube and angle, along with stand over and frame reach.
Each of the sizes is built to suit each and every rider, as they make their way through trails on their next adventure.
Ready for Anything
You can take this mountain bike out on the street, trails, parks, etc. It comes with excellent handling, thanks to the Air Suspension Fork.
The mountain bike comes with tubeless-ready rims, making it easier for you to switch to tubeless tires for lesser weight, better traction, and minimum flats. The internal cable routing makes things look clean and simple.
- Drivetrain: SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed
- Weight: 31.57 pounds with tubes
- Tire size: 27.5×2.80” with 60TPI
- Brake Type: Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
- Material: Alpha Gold Aluminum
2. Roubion by Juliana Bicycles
The shock configuration of the Juliana bike from Roubion can help riders push through anything.
This bike is designed with a unique triangle configuration that enhances performance, pumping up the power, and riding over obstacles that might have proved challenging.
Apart from the work that this bike can take, it comes with a steel matte color and sharply lined angles.
Sizes for Everybody
The aluminum frame weighs in at only 33.78 pounds and comes in three different sizes:
- Small (142cm to 155cm)
- Medium (155cm to 165cm)
- Large (165cm to 175cm).
The bars are Race Face Aeffect R (35X780), complete with Juliana Grips to keep hands attached in even the bumpiest of situations. Two Maxxis Minion tires are equipped on the bike, each one with 27.4 inches of thickness.
- Drivetrain: SRAM X01 Eagle, 12-speed
- Weight: 33.78 pounds
- Tire size: 27.5″.
- Brake Type: SRAM Guide T
- Material: Available in Carbon C, Carbon CC & Aluminum
3. Trek Marlin 6
This bike is designed with a lightweight aluminum frame that is perfect for riders of all levels.
Added features include suspension lockout and hydraulic disc brakes, which work together to provide a smooth and comfortable ride even along the trails’ bumpiest.
There is a 2X drivetrain for a range of gears that includes all of the most useful and leaves the rest out.
Perfectly Constructed for Rough Rides
The weight of this bike falls on the lighter side, weighing only 31.7 pounds. For riders, sizes include XS/S and M/L, suiting anyone with heights from 4’5 to 5’10.5.
You will also find specs specific to parts like inseam, bracket drops, and seat tube angle on the official website to choose the bike that best suits you and your body.
The MTB comes with advanced frame geometry along with a custom fork offset for excellent handling at low speeds while maintaining high-speed stability. The Alpha Silver Aluminum frame is highly durable.
- Drivetrain: Shimano Altus M315, eight-speed
- Weight: 31.67 pounds
- Tire size: 27.5” X 2.20”
- Brake type: Tektro HD-M276 hydraulic disc, short-reach lever
- Material: Alpha Silver Aluminum
4. Trek Powerfly 5
If you fall in love at first sight with ease, use caution with this next bike.
It is beautiful with its perfectly blended teal aluminum Alpha Platinum frame mixed with platinum and black features.
This is an electric mountain bike for women that features a super tech Bosch system that includes a CX 250-watt motor and ergonomic controller. This bike is specially designed for women, with an added curvature at the top for easy footing.
This bike is equipped with Bontrager tires with 30TPI. With tubes, the bike weighs 47.9 pounds, which is a bit on the heavier side.
But the heaviness comes along with the motor that increases speed by 20 mph. The motor comes with an external charging port to charge either on or off of the bike. All four Trek sizes are included, from small to large.
Before purchasing, be sure to check out the specific measurements of the four available sizes to make sure that they fit your frame perfectly.
- Drivetrain: SRAM SX Eagle single-click, 12 speed
- Weight: 47.86 pounds
- Tire size: 29×2.30″ with 30 TPI
- Brake type: Tektro HD-M275 hydraulic disc
- Material: Alpha Platinum Aluminum
5. Ghost Lanao
If you haven’t heard of Ghost, you’re in for a treat. They have many options available for tough bikes at an affordable price.
Sturdy Aluminum Frame
The Lanao comes with 18 gears and is made of sturdy aluminum, just like many other competitors. The wheel size is 27.5, perfect for creating a stable and smooth ride through water, mud, and even sand.
The SR Suntour XCM form leaves the bike room to climb, with 100mm of travel included. Brakes are MT200 hydraulic disc, which allows for 1-finger braking and incredible modulation.
Excellent Ride Quality
For sizing, you can choose from three options, including XS, S, and M.
Reach increases in intervals of 15 from 285 to 415, and the head tube and seat tube angle are 69 and 73 across the board consecutively.
Each measurement is included in a guide where you can choose the best size and shape for you.
No matter what your size is, you’ll love still love the fact that this bike weighs only 30 pounds, a lightweight and affordable option compared to some of the other more bulky and heavy ones out there.
- Drivetrain: Shimano Acera Rapidfire
- Weight: 30 pounds
- Tire size: 27.5 inches
- Brake Type: Shimano MT200 Hydraulic Disc Brake
- Material: Aluminum
6. Co-Op Cycles DRT 2.1
The Co-Op 12-gear bike is oozing with goodies. Not only is the look sharp, but the specs are too. Front suspension powers two 27.5+ wheels across the ground while hydraulic disc brakes have your back.
The handlebars rise into a riser bar shape, one that is double-butted for secure gripping. It’s made from aluminum and has a SunTour SR AIR-Boost fork included.
Made for an Excellent Ride Quality
Total weight is under 34 pounds and comes in five different sizes, each one with their specific specs. XS is suitable for those that are around 5’0 to 5’3 and XL 6’0 to 6’3. The perfect fit can be found by checking out the dimensions and measurements that come with each bike.
The X-fusion dropper seatpost featured on this MTB allows 125mm travel, ensuring a smooth ride quality on the bumpiest of terrains. The disc brakes are reliable and weather-proof.
- Drivetrain: SRAM SX Eagle, 12-speed
- Weight: 33.79 pounds
- Tire size: 27.5″.
- Brake type: Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc
- Material: Aluminum
7. Ghost Lanao FS
Another Ghost product to make it on the list is the Lanao FS. This is a 12-gear bike with 130mm of fork travel.
The frame is constructed of sturdy aluminum that is durable and comes with a low standover height perfect for women.
Equipped in the rear are shocks that smooth out bumps and jumps along the way, and the dropper seat post makes for safe and stable sailing both uphill and downhill.
Find Your Perfect Fit
For sizes, you can choose from three options, from xs to m. You can select things like reach, stack, and standover height, all coming in different depending on the size you choose.
The weight of this bike is just over 34 pounds, and the embedded drivetrain makes for smooth shifting along any part of the trail and at any time.
- Drivetrain: SRAM SX Eagle
- Weight: 34 pounds
- Tire size: 27.5 inches
- Brake type: Tektro HD-M285 Hydraulic Disc Brake
- Material: Aluminum
8. Rockhopper Comp 29
The clay color is enough to catch your eye right off the bat. Its beauty says nothing about its function, however, as it can take the heat of the hardest to get through areas.
It is considered one of the best budget women’s mountain bikes out there with butted aluminum tubes, and an A1 aluminum frame makes up the lightweight bike.
A 1X MicroSHIFT drivetrain provides a wide range of clutches to choose from to find the best and most comfortable power. Plus, the alloy quick release seat binder helps keep you in place even when you’re on your way down the steepest of hills.
Sturdy Construction for a Secure Ride
Frame and wheel size change with each size to find the perfect combination to suit riders. There is a total of five sizes, ranging from small all the way to double X-large.
With all the added specs and sturdy aluminum base, this bike weighs under 35 pounds. This is a bike that is easy to handle and great to take out on adventure wherever you may roam.
- Drivetrain: microSHIFT Advent, 9-speed
- Weight: 35 pounds
- Tire size: 29×2.3″.
- Brake Type: Shimano BR-MT200 hydraulic disc
- Material: A1 premium butted alloy
9. Salsa Horsethief SLX 29
Making it on the list as the best women’s mountain bike under 1000, this bike from Salsa features 29-inch wheels, and a for travel of 140mm gives you some pretty epic riding abilities.
Suspension and Shifters
You can switch through 12 gears and shift with the SLX group that includes 4-piston braking. Suspensions are 140m in the front and 120mm at the rear to topple over rocks and bumps of all kinds.
The brakes are none other than Shimano MT 520 4-piston 180mm rotors that will stop on a dime, and the riser bar styled handlebars make for secure handling.
Good for all-around riding
To fit all body types, there are sizes-small, medium, large, and extra-large. This range is perfect for ladies from 5’5 all the way to 6’2 and above.
Both the reach and stack increase as the size of the bike increases, giving you options to choose your perfect fit.
This bike and all its accessories, including tubes, weigh in at just under 35 pounds, giving you sturdy and solid grounding without having lots of weight to pull up.
- Drivetrain: Shimano SLX
- Weight: 35 pounds
- Tire size: 29 x 2.5”
- Brake Type: Shimano MT520 4-Piston Hydraulic Disc Brake
- Material: Aluminum
10. Scott Contessa
Voted one of the best women’s mountain bikes under 500, the frame of this bike is made of alloy and custom tubing. It’s got 24 speeds to choose from, shifting quickly and without much effort.
The shifter has a 2-way release option, and the fork comes with 100mm of travel. Tires are only 2.4 inches and come with 30TPI.
Affordable and powerful
If you’re looking for a lightweight and economical option, this bike is it.
It comes with all you need without the other bells and whistles plus weighs only 32 lbs. There are four sizes to choose from, ranging from small to extra-large.
To find your fit, you can take a look at the sizing chart to check for specifications.
- Drivetrain: Shimano Tourney TX 24 Speed
- Weight: 32.63 pounds
- Tire size: Kenda Booster 2.4″ 30 TPI
- Brake type: Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Material: Aspect 700/900 Alloy Frame
Summing Up: Finding the Best Mountain Bikes for Women
So, there you have it.
You know what to look for and have seen some of the best ones out there on the market that 2023 has to offer. The best thing to do is start with your measurements and know what type of riding you will be doing.
This can help you narrow down your search into one that comes with all of the options that you need and do away with others that you don’t.
Finding the best bike for you and your lifestyle can be a fun experience, looking for one that is the perfect companion for your adventures.
Once you find it, you’ll notice so many options open up for you, where you’ll be able to go right alongside your bike.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Assembly tutorial is located in the related video shorts section; The Huffy Tekton is ideal for ages 12-19 and a rider height of 58-70 inches; the...
- The lightweight aluminum hardtail frame is backed by our limited 10-year warranty (see owner's manual for details); Aluminum (much lighter than steel)...
- An all-Shimano drivetrain is designed and integrated to deliver 21 speeds with seamless, smooth twist shifting; suspension fork absorbs bumps from...
- Oversized tires maximize traction for dirt and gravel paths in wet or dry conditions; this traction is especially handy for climbs and descents and...
- Alloy linear pull brakes together with machined alloy wheel rims provide smooth, stopping power; slight-rise handlebar enables upright riding to...
- Steel frame is lightweight and strong
- Alloy wheels
- 21 speeds with Shimano rear derailleur
- 3 piece cranks
- Front & rear linear pull brakes
- Adjustable Stem Upgrade: The stem angle can be adjusted to your height and riding habits, making Victor 2.0 the rider's best travel partner.
- Fast charge technology: 3A fast charger can recharge the battery in 2-3 hrs, 350W high-speed rear hub motor, providing higher output efficiency.
- Removable battery: 36V/10.4Ah removable battery features 3A fast charging function and includes security keys. Large battery capacity ensures extended...
- 21-Speed Shimano Gearset: Professional Shimano 21-speed gearing system will satisfy all your speed needs for any terrain.
- Worry-Free Assembly: This electric mountain bike is 85% pre-assembled, comes with instruction manual and installation tools.
- 【Aluminum Frame】 The AVASTA mountain bike features a sturdy yet light aluminum frame with a performance suspension fork that soaks up bumps and...
- 【SHIMANO 21-Speed】SHIMANO shifters combines with the SHIMANO rear derailleurs to deliver gear changes easy and smooth, for uphill Climbing,...
- 【Sports Tires】26 "X 1.95" KENDA tires handle pavement, gravel and dirt with ease; The wheels feature double wall aluminum rim for lightweight...
- 【Dual Disk Brakes】Durable stainless steel mechanical front and rear mechanical disc brake giving you the stable and strong braking force and help...
- 【Easy To Assemble】This bicycle is 85 % assembled and comes with the basic assembly tools, only a few pars need to be added to the bike, will take...
- Assembly video under images; ready for adrenaline-soaked adventures; RTT features a lightweight, durable aluminum frame for easier handling on the...
- All tools are included for fast assembly; this 24-inch wheel bike is for a minimum inseam of 26 inches; 26-inch wheel size is also available; knobby...
- The Shimano EZ Fire Plus Trigger & TY 300 rear indexed derailleur deliver 21 speeds of ultra smooth shifting with just your index finger and thumb
- Lightweight alloy linear pull brakes with machined alloy wheel rims enable superior brake pad contact to deliver smooth stopping power; slight-rise...
- The padded saddle, with quality side stitching, can be adjusted for the perfect height and angle; the alloy quick release binder lets you easily...
- The mountain bike frame is made of high carbon steel, sturdy and durable, making your cycling safer.
- 21 Speed shifters with rear derailleur for quick gear changes on the trail.
- Wheel diameter 26 In, suitable for adult riding. Use aluminum alloy double layer wheels to ensure your safety.
- Mountain bikes can be selected in a variety of fashionable colors, very suitable for men and women who love to ride outdoor sports.
- 80percent assembled, you just attach the handlebars and seat post. For riders up to 330 pounds.
- 【High Tech Frame】High carbon steel soft tail frame has better strength, stability and toughness, which can better absorb vibration. Compared with...
- 【Full Suspension】Full suspension bike has better shock absorption,adapt to more terrains,giving you a more comfortable ride on rough roads and...
- 【Professional Drive Train】21 shimano drive train is precise and simple to control, a wide range of gears gives you more control for climbing and...
- 【XC Sport Tires】26”XC tires are faster acceleration, easier handling, more responsive than bigger wheel,Ideal for dual suspension mtb.Double...
- 【Assembly Guide & Warranty】The 18-inch frame fits riders from 5’5’’ to 6’1'' tall.Like every Hiland, it is 85% pre-assembled, easy to...